Lectures in this part-time course are delivered by lecturers from Swinburne University of Technology, with a live demonstration component facilitated by a clinical practitioner based in Singapore. Areas covered in this course include:
- Application of counselling techniques to selected client problems such as depression, anxiety, anger, post-traumatic stress, interpersonal-skill deficits;
- Introduction to crisis counselling;
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) models for counselling;
- Mindfulness and the comparison to CBT;
- Schema Therapy;
- Counselling for substance abuse;
- Post-traumatic stress;
- Marital and family conflict;
- Child abuse;
- Eating disorders;
- Pain management; and
- Sleep disorders.
This course is also offered as an elective unit in the Master of Counselling (Advanced) course accredited and awarded by Swinburne University of Technology, and organized by the Executive Counselling and Training Academy. Participants of this course will join a Masters cohort taking this unit as an elective.